Although simplicity is desirable, simple structures do not always produce the optimal tax result. But complex tax structures create compliance costs and increase the risk of mistakes.
Creating the best structure for a business or an investment requires creativity, judgment and experience. It also requires an understanding of the business. Jon has extensive experience structuring acquisitions and restructuring business organizations. He focuses on the asset management industry, technology companies as well as partnerships and pass-through entities.
Experience and Representative Transactions
Here are some examples of Jon’s experience in structuring acquisitions, business operations and groups of entities:
- Combination of two funds-of-funds groups, followed by restructuring the combined group to eliminate redundancies and duplicative regulated entities.
- Tax counsel to private equity fund in its acquisition of technology company based in the United States and India. The target company was engaged in providing products and services to the hedge fund industry.
- Tax counsel to private equity buyer of U.S. company owned by foreign corporation. The buyer structured the acquisition to qualify for a full basis step-up in target assets.
- Advised U.S.-based company in construction technology industry on its simultaneous acquisition of Canadian company and restructuring of its existing foreign operations.
- Represented lenders in complex, multi-stage restructuring and debt workout of German automotive parts company organized as a foreign partnership in preparation for IPO.