Jon has advised attorneys on structuring contingent fees, the tax treatment of payments by law firms to retiring partners, and tax issues for partners in insolvent law firms, including:
- Advising an attorney and his law firm on a complex structuring of a contingent fee in a national class action lawsuit.
- Advising on the tax treatment of retirement and buyout payments made to founding partners of an AmLaw 100 law firm.
- Advising a group of partners in a large law firm insolvency on various tax aspects of the firm’s dissolution.
- Advising both investors and plaintiffs on the tax treatment of litigation financing arrangements.
Jon has advised plaintiffs and defendants on the tax treatment of legal settlements including character (capital vs. ordinary) and timing.
- Tax treatment of settlement payments made to employees (including wage withholding).
- Tax reporting of judgments, attorney fees, and legal settlements for plaintiffs, defendants and attorneys.